Tuesday, February 17

Color Study

After the value study and my great white shape was figured out, I made a color study too. This helped me take the guess work out of the color choices and left me more free to paint. I chose the colors based on what I want to say.

I was ready to just paint. This also allowed me freedom to change since I had an idea of the direction it would take.

Go figure! all this prep actually made a difference in my approach. I can see the color study being a small painting... once I give it a bit more attention to detail. Not sure that I want to put that much thought into it right now. I expect that it will develop in that direction on its own.


I have done this for 2 out of the 3 of my latest paintings. With the painting that I did not use this tool, I felt as if I was painting in the dark. Not comfortable at all. The short time it took me to make the color study was worth it in the long run.

1 comment:

Sandy Maudlin said...

What a great series of lessons on the value of preparation. I like the 'painting inthe dark' idea to describe what happens when the plans are too vague. Thanks for the well presented info. And the painting's beautiful from value studies, through color studies to the finished masterpiece! Way to go.