Thursday, June 3

LION AND LAMB

This painting on gesso 140# Arches watercolor paper was drawn on tracing paper first and then using a light box was transfered to the gesso paper.


The challenge with this painting started with the drawing. It was made up of two photos and some adlibing on my part. Once the planning was complete.. the painting seemed to flow together. This is a close up of the painting in progress.
This process is perfect for the details in the lions mane which didn't change from this first image in process to the finished painting. With the mid tone in place, it was easy to remove color for the white areas and add darks where needed.




The lamb on the other hand looks it just had a bath. It wasn't until removing more of the color, actually almost all the color from the fur before the lamb come to life. The colors that I chose for the middle tone seemed to stain the gesso and didn't go all the way back to white. It is ok because it gives color to the fur. If it were all white it wouldn't be the look I was after.

I like this process of add middle tones to the paper then removing color to get the white areas back and adding dark for the darker values.

Unfortunately not all images work well using this process.




6 comments:

Kevin Scott said...

I'm a singer songwriter interested in using your lion and lamb watercolor for a CD cover. Is this possible?

palmdesertlady said...

Love your work....do you buy gesso 140lb watercolour paper with the gesso already on it? Or, do you apply it to regular 140lb watercolour paper after purchased. Thanks for answering this question, if you have time.

Marie from Palm Desert, CA

MaryJane Noe said...

I paint the gesso on Arches 140# paper. I am sure that they sell it somewhere but its easy to do and this way you get to put some design lines in when you brush the gesso on yourself. I have been using yupo more now so I do not use gesso as much. Check out the newer version of the Lion and Lamb that I did. Thanks for the question.

MaryJane Noe said...

Thanks Kevin for the interest. I would be honored whenever you are interested in using one of my paintings, contact me again.

littletxlady said...

Your art is amazing! It really touches my soul ♥ Thank you for sharing it with the world....

MaryJane Noe said...

I am blessed with a gift and I am glad to share it with anyone who is interested. Thank you.